Thursday, October 9, 2014

Assalamualaikum and Hello Dr!

Is Google Making Us Stupid?


I would say No but in the same time I would say Yes as well.  Cliché indeed, but that is my humble opinion. Based on the article that you have provided for us, there are many issues in it that I can relate to myself. As for instance, in the article Bowman stated that;

“Now my concentration often starts to drift after two or three pages. I get fidgety, lose the thread, begin looking for something else to do. I feel as if I’m always dragging my wayward brain back to the text. The deep reading that used to come naturally has become a struggle.”

The statement above is definitely true based on my personal experience. Back then, I used to read lengthy essay (Normally I read it for the educational purposes during my secondary school) and I had no complaint about it. Access to the internet was there, but we did not train to use or rely too much on it when attempting the task given by the teachers. It is like we have to read the reading materials given by the educators by hook or by crook if we want to know the content discussed. Failed to do so, you will end up knowing nothing in the classroom during discussion session.

However, once I entered university life, Google is like everything to me. I would say that I couldn’t survive without Google! It makes my works much easier and faster.  Everything is on our fingertips! Not to mention, Google is a life saver for most university students (I am truly sorry that you have to read this Dr, ugly truth indeed).

Google makes everything seems so possible. In fact, nowadays you don’t need a book to find information needed, instead you just have too Google it! Not to mention, we become lazier when we still do the shortcut way of work even though we are using internet. As for instance, we just skim and scan the information, read the headline as well as plagiarism. It is discussed in the article as it said,

“I’m not working, I’m as likely as not to be foraging in the Web’s info- thickets’reading and writing e-mails, scanning headlines and blog posts, watching videos and listening to podcasts, or just tripping from link to link to link. (Unlikefootnotes, to which they’re sometimes likened, hyperlinks don’t merely point to related works; they propel you toward them.)”

P/s: Reading the articles that you have provided for us is a struggle though.

That is all for now.


Thank you for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment